What are the risks of joint replacement surgery?
Like any surgery, there are some risks and potential complications that you should be aware of, including:
- blood clots
- dislocation of the new joint
- fractures that can occur during or after surgery, especially if you have weak or brittle bones
- loosening of the implant over time, which may require adjustment surgery
- allergic reactions to the implant, sutures or medications
- nerve or blood vessel damage, in rare cases.
It’s important to discuss surgical risks with our team prior to your procedure – please ask us questions and voice any concerns you may have.
"Having joint replacement surgery is a big decision. Please ask us anything at any stage of your journey. Our team has many years of experience in orthopaedic care and we'll be with you every step of the way."
Dr Dan Fick